- Wool clothing shrinks after washing.
1. Washing wool articles:
Wool is a natural fiber with many possible uses. However, wool items can be difficult to care for. If you want them to retain their shape, color and quality they may need to be handled with care.
2. How to wash wool articles?
Wool is a natural living material which must be washed and dried in the appropriate way.
You should always follow the washing instructions on the garment’s label. If there are no instructions, you can follow the guide below.
3. Washing wool articles — do not use enzymatic washing powder.
Most types of laundry detergents contain enzymes, which dissolve dirt, grease and grime in order to make washing clothes easier.
- Enzymes may affect wool, so it is very important that you do not wash wool articles using enzymatic washing powder.
- You can buy special detergents for washing wool articles.
- Do not use excessively hot water.
- Too hot water can cause wool articles to shrink.
Many washing machines have a wool cycle and it is a good idea to use it when washing wool articles.
- If the garment’s washing instructions state that the garment must be washed by hand, it is important to make sure that the washing machine has a cycle for washing garments which, according to label, should be hand-washed only.
Some washing machines have a wool cycle, which is intended only for washing wool articles with a label which indicates that they can be washed in a washing machine.
- See the list of cycles in the user manual. Download user manual.
Tip: Rules to remember when washing wool articles:
- Wool articles should be washed in cold water using a suitable enzyme-free detergent, or using an appropriate wool cycle in the washing machine.