Ancient grains are nothing new, but they’ll certainly be trending on people’s plates this year. Unlike the more modern corns and rice, these grains are largely unchanged over the centuries and include rye, spelt, quinoa, barley, black rice, kamut, and buckwheat.
These grains are rich in nutrient, and offer a whole host of health benefits–ranging from improved digestion to a boosted immunity. There are loads of opportunities to cook with ancient grains. Why not try to puff them, or bake with them? To ensure that crispiest crusts and softest insides, try baking with AEG’s ovens with steam for best results.
The crisp crust. The open crumb. Achieve great results every day.
With the versatile attachments, the UltraMix helps you prepare the right mix for each occasion.
375 ml of water
2 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of dry yeast
500g of sifted dairy flour
1 teaspoon of salt
Whisked eggs for brushing
Seeds for topping
- Mix yeast sugar and water in a bowl, let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and flour.
- Mix in the AEG Kitchen Machine for about 5 minutes.
- Start the Moist Fan Baking program in the SteamPro oven, at 40°C. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel.
- Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough by hand on a floured baking table.
- Divide into 8 parts.
- Mold into balls and carefully create a hole - about 5 cm in diameter - in each.
- Place balls on a plate.
- Start the Full Steam program in the SteamPro oven, and steam bagels for 6 minutes.
- Remove the plate and set the Medium Humidity Cooking program at 200°C on the SteamPro oven.
- Brush bagels with egg and sprinkle with seeds
- Bake for 13 minutes in the SteamPro oven, using the Medium Humidity Cooking program at 200°C.