Chocolate Orange Madeleine Recipeine Recipe
Chocolate Orange Madeleines
Ever wondered how to make madeleines? The tradition French delicacy is the perfect dessert, especially with our chocolate orange twist. Follow our easy madeleine recipe to create the delicious sponge shells and wow your guests.
• 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
• 2 large eggs
• 100g golden caster sugar
• Zest of 2 oranges
• 2 tbsp orange juice
• 100g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 140g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10-12mins
Serves 12 – 15 madelines
You will need a 12-hole madeleine tin. This will make between 18-24 Madeleines depending on the size of the tin.
1. Grease the madeleine tin with butter and dust with a little flour, ensuring to shake off any excess
2. Melt the butter until it is foamy and turns a nutty brown colour. Pour into a bowl and set aside to cool
3. Beat eggs and sugar in an electric mixer, then add the orange zest and juice and mix until thick and pale. Add the melted butter and mix thoroughly. Combine flour and baking powder then add to the mixer a spoonful at a time and fold in carefully
4. At this stage it may be chilled overnight.
5. Add about one heaped tablespoon of the mixture to each madeleine hole (or pour the batter into a piping bag and pipe mixture into each hole)
6. Bake on Low Humidity at 160 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Turn out immediately onto a wire rack and leave to cool
7. In a saucepan melt the chocolate on a low setting on the induction hob
8. Dip each madeleine halfway into the melted chocolate, allowing the excess to drip off, or drizzle the chocolate over the madeleine, then place on a sheet of baking parchment. Allow the chocolate to set before serving
Chef Tip: Adding a pinch of salt into the melted dark chocolate creates a more complex flavour