Perfectly steamed buns with a golden crust - as if fresh from the bakery. A great recipe for those weekend-mornings when you deserve something extra.
Makes 8 buns
Cooking time: 2h (including proving time)
- Put the yeast in a blender. Pour over the warm water, stir to combine and allow the yeast to froth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the jar of the blender or a large bowl.
- Pour the liquid into the flour and knead on low speed for 1 minute, then 3-4 minutes on medium speed until the dough is smooth. If you don’t have a blender, knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/200°C fan and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Knock back the dough and divide into 40 g portions. Shape into buns, place on the lined tray and prove for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake for about 8 minutes (using steam), until the buns are golden and puffed up.